When it comes to real estate and construction lending, MPS Law has guided lenders in financings for projects that have changed the face of real estate in the Chicago area. From Loop high-rise condominium buildings to single-family or townhome developments in distant suburbs, we assist our lending clients in a variety of projects, and help structure, document and close deals from the simplest condominium conversion to the most complex mixed-use, public/private redevelopments.
The Chicago area is dotted with projects whose loans we have documented. From hotels near O’Hare Airport and charter schools in struggling neighborhoods to office buildings in the northwest suburbs, shopping centers in the northern suburbs, factories in DuPage and Kane counties and nursing homes downstate. As well as representing lenders on projects in Florida, Arizona, Wisconsin, California and other states.
Our clients include national, regional and local banks, insurance companies, mezzanine lenders and lead or participating lenders in multi-lender or agency transactions. They look to us not only to draft loan documents, but to find innovative and pragmatic solutions to problems arising in every phase of the lending process. As real estate lawyers with decades of experience, we devise win-win solutions for lender and borrower. Among the services we provide to our clients are:
- Analyzing due diligence material and organizational information for borrowers and guarantors
- Structuring, documenting and negotiating project loans
- Reviewing title commitments, analyzing title issues and working with title companies and borrowers on title issues effecting the project
- Reviewing redevelopment agreements, annexation agreements, infrastructure agreements, bond documents and other agreements with municipalities which impact on the funding of a project and lender’s interests in the project
- Working with bond counsel, underwriters, developers and municipalities on projects which include bank financing and industrial development, special service area and other types of tax-exempt public financing
- Analyzing TIF documents and crafting loan documentation to address issues presented by both TIF and bank financing
- Drafting or reviewing participation agreements or agency agreements in multi-lender transactions
- Preparing and negotiating intercreditor or subordination agreements in deals with mezzanine financing or other layers of debt
- Reviewing ground leases or other leases and structuring transactions to address leasing and title ownership issues
- Reviewing and negotiating condominium declarations, homeowners association documents and other community documents to protect lender’s interests